From humble beginnings (a tarp that sheltered the first fire truck) to a three-bay station and separate administration building…
In 1942 Boronia Fire Brigade was registered with the Country Fire Authority (CFA). Seven of its twenty members were residents of Bayswater and although officially Boronia firefighters, were known as the Bayswater Fire Brigade.
A Fire Station was established in Station Street, Bayswater and the Brigade continued to operate as an out station of Boronia Fire Brigade until the early 1950’s when it was disbanded for unknown reasons.Boronia Fire Brigade now provided fire protection to both Boronia and Bayswater areas.
In June 1969 a public meeting was convened to gather support for the establishment of a fire brigade in Bayswater. There was no dispute as to the need for local fire protection; however there was much discussion as to whether it should be provided by the CFA or Metropolitan Fire Brigade (MFB). A second public meeting held on 25th June 1969 formed Bayswater Fire Brigade.
On 17th November 1969 Bayswater Fire Brigade was registered with CFA. The Brigade became operational in January 1970 and attended its first fire call on 22nd January (picture). However, a site for the Fire Station had not yet been established so the Brigade vehicle was parked under a tarp at the rear of a service station on the corner of Mountain Highway and Highmoor Avenue, Bayswater. On Good Friday 1970 a tin shed was erected to house the Brigade vehicle and other operational equipment.
In 1973 the tin shed was relocated to a site adjacent to the Scoresby Road railway crossing until the present Fire Station was built in 1976.
In 2008, the Brigade leased an additional building on the same site to be used for administration, meetings and indoor training.